Skip to main content

Al compás del mundo – programa #104 - Greatest Hit Potpourri - Dr Ross to Bombino and Beyond

 


From the Shores of Bombino - A Bostonian Brahma advisor told me I should cull my early programs for the “best of Al compás”.  Should I ever make it big in the radio world (ala Howard Stern), I’m going to hire this guy as my manager. Some time back I bemoaned the fact that long ago and during many earlier programs I had already picked and played my absolute favorites of every genre. I continue to find radio-worthy songs with two years of programming under my belt, but admittedly, it gets harder to find the exquisite gems that often populated the oldest playlists. And thus we find this week’s aggregation, replayed from my first four programs, of Colombian and Brazilian folk music; jazz; bluesy jazz (oh babe!); country blues; a most logical and satisfying segue into Ethiopian saxophone negus (king) Getachew Mekurya; South African, and Nigerien jazz-rap-blues – proving there’s nothing new under the sun but modern twists on traditional themes. Follow all that with Ederlezi, what has become a Roma anthem; Beirut the boy wonder, composing Scenic World while playing all the instruments and multi-tracking it together in his Santa Fe bedroom; and the coup de grace, French sophisticate, and teen idol of the late 60s and 70s, Yves Simon. Spicy, dicey, and oo-la-la all wrapped up in a neat little hour-long package, just for you!

Lista Potpourri: “the greatest hits” from programs #1-4 - Dr Ross to Bombolino and Beyond

 First broadcast on 11-30-2023

01 Orito Cantora & Jenn del Tambó - Bullerengue para un Ángel (Colombia)

02 Nazare Pereira - Lancol De Estelas (Brazil)

03 Courtney Pine - I've Known Rivers (USA)

04 Gary Bartz Ntu Troop - Celestial Blues (USA)

05 Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Oh Babe (USA)

06 Doctor Ross - Cat Squirrel (USA)

07 Floyd Jones - Dark Road (USA)

08 Getatchew Mekurya - Shemonmwanaye (Ethiopia)

09 Lungiswa Plaatjies featuring Madosini - Solalemaweni (South Africa)

10 TransGlobal Underground - Cape Thunder (South Africa-England-India)

11 Bombino - Amidinine (My Friend) (Niger)

12 Goran Bregović, Emir Kusturica - Ederlezi Time of the Gypsies (Serbia)

13 Beirut - Scenic World (USA)

14 Yves Simon - Au Pays Des Merveilles De Juliet (France)

 

Beirut - not the city


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experimental Music: Squeak, Squawk, and Skrunk

Leon Theremin and the Orchestra I’m showing my age with today’s Al compás del mundo playlist. Most all the music represented here is from 20-50 years ago. A couple exceptions are Iranian-Canadian Sina Bathaie and Chile’s Föllakzoid, both a nod towards rave culture…which has its origins in the mid -1980s, an old school trip out which lingers on to this day. Experimental music has been around for who knows how long. Rebels always come out of the woodwork when popular taste imposes limitations.  And electronics have influenced and become the medium as far back as the theremin, invented circa 1918. There’s one more ringer in this group (experimental yes, electronic, no) and that’s Steve Reich’s piece, an excerpt from “Pulse.” The chorus and instruments are organic and live – no recorded sounds and no overdubs. That this sort of music has drawn devotees in great numbers and from all parts of the world would make a case for a commonality in human artistic perception and acceptance. Who s...

Guitarras del mundo

  Choosing music and writing about “the guitar” opens many doors. I could have gone off in any number of directions and with a singular narrow focus - but I didn’t. Instead, I threw a whole bunch of varied tunes against a wall to see which ones stuck. Sometimes there’s a continuity and other times none: just two aesthetically pleasing pieces that worked well in tandem and, hopefully, were preceded and followed with similar morsels. Usually, that is how these programs come together. I receive a divinely inspired revelation for a certain theme, region, or style of music and build it from there. Baden Powell, Brazilian beatnik poet and guitar master, seemed to me an obvious choice to begin the program. From there (as you can well see) we stick around Latin America a bit; segue into Spain, notorious as a guitar hotbed; head South to North Africa for the venerable Bombino (yes, again!) and more of that desert blues ilk; logically morph into a short blues set and settle at the bottom sid...

Electric Chicago blues

  Al compás del mundo Run List   #172, 3-20-25 - electric Chicago blues   01 James Cotton - Love Me or Leave Me 02 Sonny Boy Williamson - Wake Up Baby 03 Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers - Wild About You, Baby 04 Howlin Wolf - You'll Be Mine 05 John Lee Hooker – Louise 06 Junior Wells - Snatch It Back and Hold It 07 Koko Taylor - Wang Dang Doodle 08 Little Walter - I Don't Play 09 Jimmy Rogers - Walking by Myself 10 J.B. Lenoir - Don't Dog Your Woman 11 Otis Rush - Keep on Loving Me Baby 12 Muddy Waters - I Can't Be Satisfied 13 Sunnyland Slim - Shake It 14 Walter Horton - It's Alright 15 Buddy Guy - When My Left Eye Jumps 16 Magic Sam - She Belongs to Me 17 Johnny Young - Cross-Cut Saw 18 Eddie Boyd - Third Degree 19 Willie Dixon and Friends - I Cry for You   Got to feature the blues from time to time on Al compás del mundo as there seems to be a shortage of such on Mexican radio. Although RadioactivaTX.org, the ...